[ao16aprs] reliable email, icq, etc via sat

I have set up reliable terrestrial  via satellite communications  using
AO-16, LO-19, and IO-26. On all attempts to send email messages, I had a
100% success rate per pass, about 60% of UI's made it through the bird. This
was using my home sat station, connected to aprserve running APRSplus, and
WiSP. All standard versions of the existing software were used. I don't
leave my  satellite station up at the present time, but could bring it up to
monitor for anyone being reported overdue, on a wilderness trip, or
whatever. I don't have to be here to monitor, the whole process of email
/ICQ is automated. I would bring up my station in the morning, goto work, it
would track all selected sat's on a priority basis. My mobile consisted of a
standard 50watt dual band rig and a PacComm satellite modem set, on my 19
foot sportfishing boat. . The user sends an email, the intended recipient
reads their email..  Simple as that for the user. I'm sure this could also
be done with a tnc, 5watt HT, and a small portable handheld beam.. Using the
existing pacsats and satellite ground stations the receiving job is done.
What need's to be done is the portable transmit station, a small low current
drain tnc has to be found that can be modded for this use. Anyone can build
a small portable 2 meter beam, to use with their HT for this effort. I
looked at KPC-3's, Pico Packet's, can't be done. Perhaps a PacComm tiny tnc.
We have FOUR satellites to use for this effort, if anyone want's to test a
portable system I will gladly bring up my receiving ground station.

73 Jeff kb2wqm

> Subject: APRS Satellite groundstation software
> From: "Henry Moseley" <hmose@sover.net>
> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:46:31 -0400
>
> Jeff King, Brian Riley, and Bob Bruninga are on the right track but it is
> very much in order to spell out now what the users want the software to
do.
> We have been touting the concept of the lone lost mountaineer or sailor
who
> wants to send this UI frame to his base camp or to the Coast Guard via the
> internet. Betcha he wont be able to do this reliably as things are going
> now. Either Internet forewarding has got to be there or the whole world
must
> sit there with there eyes glued to some telnet download watching for they
> know not what. Please don't use up the satellite passes for mere
> conventional APRS unless this email forwarding feature is included because
> you will basically block out the poor slob who is in trouble with his
little
> rubber duckey who is looking for help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Henry